Sunday, April 18, 2004

Why are people so stupid? (not you reading this, but people in general ;) Seriously though. Some people have this self-martyr complex. They have to blow everything out of proportion, and if you get mad at them, it's automatically a "deep down, seething hatred" in their eyes. Or worse, the people who can't seem to see the obvious joke, even if you had "THIS IS A JOKE" stamped all over it.

Folks, the weather is GORGEOUS here. It's spring. It's sprung. Or something like that. I won't be needing a jacket for awhile (maybe an umbrella, but that's it). I'm solar powered, so the days are just incredible (I spent years working overnights, so I developed a certain appreciation for daytime). I have two weeks all to myself. (Not a vacation, but the store owners are in canada, so I get some 'me' time). There's no reason for me to be in a bad mood, or bitter. And I'm not.

See, and this is the thing that's kind of bothering me. I'm starting to develop a "f**k you all!" attitude (not in general, just to people that do/say stupid things that peeve me), and it's not bringing my mood down like it used to. I guess "desensitizing" is a good term to use here (assuming I spelled it correctly ;). It's starting to become all too apparent that the world is full of friggin' idiots, and it's just better to step around them and move on. It used to be that when someone pissed me off, it would bring me down a bit because hey, I'm a nice guy. I don't like getting pissed off at people. But that seems to be changing. If 99 out of 100 people get the joke, and that last 1 person thinks it's serious. Screw 'em. It's not my problem. I don't like to be that way, but if they aren't willing to open their eyes to the obvious, it's not my fault. And why should I get upset or suffer because of that? There are a lot of people out there that need help. And I'm all for helping them. But there are also a lot of people out there that just want to be pitied. Sorry, but who's got time for that crap? Okay, maybe I've got time for it, but I don't have the patience for it anymore. I've met quite a few people who have it pretty good, but due to whatever (self pity, lack of life experience, etc) think they are the sorriest people on the planet. In a way, they are. But certainly not for the reasons they would have you believe.
On the other hand, I've seen people who are truly 'wading through the tarpits', and have a gung ho, gonna make it through, attitude. Sure they need help sometimes. We all do. But recognizing a legitimate need for help, and a too lazy/self pity attitude is extremely important.

Unfortunately, it seems in this world today, the legitimate need for help often goes unheeded, and the lazy/self pity attitude is far too often indulged in people.

I am not opposed to complaining. My theory is, complaining is how you deal with something that you can't actually do anything about. If you're moving furniture, and the couch is too heavy, you complain about the weight of the couch until someone comes along who can help you move it. IOW, it's not something you could overcome by yourself. Yes, there is a fine line between complaining and whining. Saying, "man, this couch is heavy. I don't know how I'm going to move it" is a complaint. Saying "The couch is too heavy! I'm never gonna be able to move it!" is whining.

Also, airing something in public (like on a messageboard or say... blog) that affects mainly (or only) you is whining. If it affects other people (especially a sizable group) is complaining (especially since you can't do anything about it).
Posting that you can't get a girlfriend, that's whining (no matter how true it may be or not ;). Posting that the lack of a salary cap in baseball is ruining the game, that's a complaint.

But hey, screw 'em all.

Okay, maybe not. I'm not that far gone yet ;) But still, people really need to take a good long look at themselves and say "am I complaining, do I legitimately need help? Or am I just lame?"

btw, my last post (the April 5th one), I was whining. I admit it ;Þ

No comments: