Thursday, December 18, 2003

I am finding that it's easier to post in multiple parts rather than all at once. In that vein, I'd like to start off today with something seriously nasty. Yes, it's gross, and yes, it involves bodily fluid. I'll leave some space for the faint of heart:





Ah, that's enough space.

Let me preface this by saying a] I have had my nose almost busted twice. It was too stubborn to actually break, but it has been damaged. As such, I do tend to get nosebleeds under "optimal" conditions. b] in the last few months, I have had bouts with acid reflux. That having been said, on with the story!

I've had some nasal congestion the past few weeks. aggravated severely by the rain yesterday (high humidity). So I was pissed when I got home from work and realized I had left my medicine at the store. It really sucks trying to sleep when I can't breathe through my nose. Well, I pushed on, utlizing the "self-threat" method. I forcefully (and I do mean forcefully) breathe through my nose, and tell myself "Self, I am NOT breathing through my mouth. Either you clear open a breathing passage or else you suffocate." Apparently, myself was wise enough to not call my own bluff. So lo and behold, a passageway opens up, and I can breathe through my nose. This works for awhile, but a few hours later, I get what seems to be a devastating nosebleed. Granted, I've had them before whilst sleeping (I sleep oddly, and sometimes my nose may not like the pressure from the position I'm sleeping in, so it will start to bleed. I've woken up mid-bleed, or sometimes just to discover blood on my pillow). This one seemed particularly gushy, so I tried to pinch my nose with one hand, whilst reaching for tissues with the other, so I could wipe off my pillow, and now wet arm (not to mention my moustache) before it dries. I thought to myself, "That was unnecessarily gorey." So I manage to do just that, but when I look at the tissues in the dim light, there's no dark spot on it! I wasn't having a nosebleed. It was stomach acid that shot up into my nasal cavity and flooded out my schnoz! All I remember thinking before I fell asleep again was "That was really, really nasty, and I MUST share this information in my blog!" Aren't you lucky? :Þ

I'll probably be back later to share more thoughts, of a less physiologically disturbing nature.

No comments: