Wednesday, February 04, 2004

How much have we messed up the natural cycle of things? Even on a local scale? This is what I mean, in simple observation:

Everything I've read, seen, learned, grown up to believe (through my own witnessing) has told me that squirrels go away for the winter. They don't quite hibernate like bears, but if they can gather enough food for the winter, they'll basically hide. I know occassionally, if there's not enough food locally, they will have to forage a little during the winter.

I've lived in New York, I've lived in North Carolina. I have *not* seen a squirrel in the winter in all of my 28 winters. I'm 29 now, and live in New Hampshire. You know what I see, everyday outside the bathroom window, aside from the 2+ feet of snow that has been out there since early December? I see squirrels. Lots of 'em. Moreso perhaps, than I saw in the spring and summertime. And some of them are quite plump (most aren't, but a few are). They certainly aren't frollicking. In fact, they're probably freezing their arses off just as much as I do when I walk to work. Why are they out there? They're foraging.

WTH?!

There was plenty of food in the fall. I mean I could practically skate to work on a layer of acorns. The acorns would pelt the roof of the house, and one room that doesn't have a finished ceiling, it sounded like machinegun fire. There was no shortage of acorns. So why are the squirrels, even the ones that have a nice layer of "padding", out in subzero degree weather, where they couldn't get through the snow and ice even if there WAS food underneath? I'm just totally dumbfounded. I even know that squirrels are capable of cannibalism (not so cute anymore, are they?), yet I still am clueless as to why good hibernating areas + abundant food in the fall < winter hibernation/disappearing. I don't know if this is a rant, or an enquiry, or something else, but man, what the heck is wrong with squirrels nowadays? Or at least, northeastern squirrels? Why aren't you sleeping?!

No comments: