Friday, February 20, 2004

- The Tragedy

Just when I was almost sure this was over, something new happens. As I was walking to work today, I saw it. There on the road. A dead squirrel. It wasn't squished, so I can only assume one of three things:
  1. It fell from an overhanging tree

  2. It was hit by a car and thrown by the impact

  3. It wasn't really dead, but feigning death


It wasn't a small squirrel, so I know it wasn't the regular one that was visiting/spying on me. But that third option brings up an interesting possibility. Why would a squirrel be feigning death? I think there's more than meets the eye. That maybe something is really going on, and I'm merely the "fly on the wall" to it. Not directly involved, but in the midst of all that is going on.

Is there some kind of rodent war going on? With all these small animals NOT hibernating, it's possible. There's certainly not enough errant cats and dogs roaming to be a nuisance to them, so I don't think it's a "safety/for our protection" thing. Could there be some kind of internal power struggle? After years of being united, is it possible that the skunks, possums, squirrels, even the birds are now fighting for dominance among each other? Could that squirrel I found this morning have been *pushed* in front of a moving vehicle (or off a branch) as an act of retribution? The proverbial horses head when you wake up, so to speak. Is there a squirrel mafia? Is there a Rod(ent)-Father? And what kind of nicknames do small animals use? Vinnie the Human?

I might just have to hire some hamster mercenaries to infiltrate the organization...

No comments: