Tuesday, January 03, 2006

My First Rant of the New Year: Squirp

What is squirp? Well, squirp is the fourth color, only goldfish and a certain species of shrimp can see it.

Humans and most animals can only see Red, Blue and Yellow (and of course, the combinations of the three can form approximately 64million color variations). However, Goldfish can see four colors, and the aforementioned shrimp can see ten colors!

So about 7 or 8 years ago, when I had stayed up (and online) too late, at around 8am I coined the term "squirp" to define that fourth color, vowing one day that I would name the other 6 so the shrimp don't feel left out.

However, tonight, I did a google search for the term "squirp" and came up with a lot of entries. Some of which, are potentially profitable. Of course, I won't benefit from the use, nor do I intend to, but, I think I'm not being sufficiently credited for the term (even if used in a non-color chart matter), I still invented the word. I even did lookups for a couple of years after coming up with it and found *nothing*. In fact, it's quite possible the people using the term only are doing so because they saw/read/heard it somewhere due to my creation of said term.

I feel so left out... :)

No comments: