Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Three Week - Day Three

Topic: Name a food item that you've eaten, prepared 3 different ways. List them, and explain your favorite.

Food item: Macaroni and Cheese
  1. Pre-packaged
    I actually really used to like the "White Cheddar" dry mac and cheese (any brand really, but I used to get the local store brand). I used to work at a supermarket, and on my last day, I bought a big blue tote bin, and filled it with mac and cheese, and ramen noodles. I subsisted on that for months afterwards. The Velveeta with the creamy sauce isn't bad, but the best one is the Kraft Deluxe three cheese variety.

  2. Classic Homestyle, baked
    Ironically, this is my least favorite version. I don't mind baked pasta (hey, I am half italian afterall), but it's moreso the use of cheddar that I dislike. When cooked, cheddar (moreso than most other cheeses) tends to break down into the milk solids (like curds) and oil. You have to go through a few extra steps to keep it creamy, and even then it's often quite bland.

  3. Creamy Mac and Cheese, my way
    I guess we really are the most knowledgeable at what we like. I decided one day to create my own version of mac and cheese, on the stove top, not baked (although it would probably work fine baked too), and came up with some very tasty, and creamy mac and cheese. This is definetly my favorite, although I haven't made it in years. I won't post the recipe, although I'll gladly share it if asked Image hosting by Photobucket




Just to help people out, there are plenty of foods that may be prepared multiple ways that don't immediately come to mind, so I'll list a few:
Eggs
Pasta
Potatoes
Cakes
Fish

And just so nobody has to scroll down unnecessarily:

My "Three Week" tags:
Reciprocal - Beginnings
Chelle - It's my Escape
Shrew - The Taming
Brenda - Planet Brenda

No comments: